Well tonight, I thought, I’ve got a bit of free time to install the first of two JiffyDOS roms for my Commodore 64’s. The first, would be installed in my beloved ‘breadbin’ c64 which requires a special 28-24 pin adaptor which I received yesterday from Jon – see post https://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/dual-booting-jiffydos-for-classic-c64/ )
Now this particular computer is very dear to me as it’s my very first C64 that I’ve owned since the early eighties and has provided countless hours of fun over the past 30 odd years. As you can image, i was a little nervous working on it and not wanting to stuff this one up.
After work I dropped by my local Maplins store and picked up a couple of two-way toggle switches for each C64. With these attached to the new rom chip, I’ll be able to flip between original and JiffyDOS kernels.
Lid off, keyboard and power LED header disconnected….kettle on.
I found this rather handy JiffyDOS manual (.pdf) and had it to hand loaded in iBooks on my iPad. Tablets are great!
With the correct ROM chip identified for removal, I carefully (yep sweating a lot now) removed it with an IC removal tool. Surprisingly, it popped out without too much of a fight.
Next I dremelled out a small hole in the side of the c64 case to house the new toggle switch and also soldered the JiffyDOS fly leads to said toggle switch.
Lining up the JiffyDOS rom chip pins over the IC socket, checking Jon’s notes to see which way around it went and popped it into place.
I’ve left the fly leads loose inside the c64 case for the time being, and if all is o.k will wrap these into a neat line later on.
Everything put back together and ready for testing, and the original rom chip wrapped up in my spares box.
I won’t say how long I had my finger poised over the c64 on button :)
Woo hoo, all is working and testing shows everything is good…I hope?
I was playing Flimbo’s Quest via my SD2IEC yesterday evening so i thought I’d try it again with JiffyDOS installed. Whoa, it’s quick. I’m guessing here, but I’d estimate approx 300 – 400% quicker to load.
So that’s my older breadbin C64 completed, next is my late model C64c. This has the rom chip soldered directly onto the pcb board so removal isn’t as easy this time around. I’ve already had one attempt at desoldering it, but so far no luck. I’ll keep trying and as a last resort will cut away the chip and desoldering the remaining chip legs.
Huge thanks once again to you Jon.
##edit – thanks to my friend on Facebook for pointing out that something appeared to wrong. If you look back at the picture above the amount of free bytes is wrong, it’s missing about 25k. Strangely enough, it rectified itself and is back to the expected 38911 free bytes.