A new fan made DC vs Marvel Mugen mod was released a few days ago and I’ve been enjoying a spot of button bashing this afternoon after all that Comp Pro 5000 cleaning.
I love it when they include extras to the package like this CD-ROM cover that you can print and use.
I’m sure you’ve heard of Mugen before but if not, in a nutshell it’s a open source game engine that allows you to create old school 2D fighting games similar to Street Fighter & King of Fighters games. There’s a huge online community that love this style of game and there are 100’s of fan made mods available to download and play in the event that you don’t want to create your own.
If you like games like Capcom vs Marvel or Marvel Superhereos in the arcade, then you’re going to love Mugen. If fact, Mugen would easily suit a Mame cabinet too.
This particular mod contains a huge roster of characters from the DC and Marvel universe including some firm favorites like Superman, Batman, Thor, Capt America, Ironman, Ghost Rider, Flash, Green Lantern, Hulk, Spiderman…
Batman vs Joker
…as well as characters like Lobo, Deadpool, Aquaman, Thanos and Carnage. A real fan mashup of two comic book universes. No Silver Surfer though 😦
Here’s the trailer video including download links.
– based on the Marvel vs Capcom 2 engine. Uses a 6-button layout,
– More than 80% originally animated characters and backgrounds,
– Great music,
– 24 characters on both sides and one secret character,
– More than 50 arenas, that depict famous locations from comic-books (Gotham City, Daily Planet, S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier, Asgard etc..)
– Play solo, do a team-up, or take part in simultaneous action with four characters on screen!
– ARCADE mod, fight some of the greatest villains and thwart the plans of Darkseid i Thanos and their mysterious master.
– VERSUS mod – fight the guy sitting next to you,
– SURVIVAL mod – how long can you hold on?
– DEMO – direct your favorite comic book fights.
The argument continues on the Helicarrier
I’m currently using a standard PC gamepad at the moment which it looks something similar to a PSX joypad and is great for games like this but what I really want is a proper desktop control panel with 8-way joystick and Sanwa arcade buttons. I know you can buy this kind of thing online but it would be kinda nice to build my own…or even mod a Sega Dreamcast control panel. Another project to think about but in the meantime, I’ve got a certain spider (man) to squish.